College Student With Deadly Peanut Allergy Allegedly Hazed With Peanut Butter

Frat brothers covered him with peanut butter as he was passed out.

A Central Michigan University student with a life-threatening peanut allergy claims that he was covered in peanut butter while passed out during a fraternity hazing incident last fall—and now the school is investigating, People magazine reported.

The victim, Andrew Seely, “could have been killed,” according to his mother, who posted about the incident on social media on Tuesday under a picture of her son’s swollen face.

“Last night, we found out that our son was a victim of a hazing incident at Alpha Chi Rho Fraternity at Central Michigan University in the fall,” Teresa Seely wrote. “This is a picture of what they did to him. He has a deadly peanut allergy and they rubbed peanut butter on his face while he was passed out.”

Andrew Seely was treated at the campus health clinic and “luckily he is still alive.” Her son carries Benadryl and an Epi-pen at all times, she said.

Andrew has since transferred to another school due to the incident, reported The Detroit Free Press.

Alpha Chi Rho notably was removed from the Central Michigan campus as a recognized fraternity in 2011 due to hazing problems.

“We take these types of things very seriously,” Central Michigan spokeswoman Heather Smith told People. “So the CMU Police Department and CMU’s Office of Student Conduct responded immediately and started looking into it.” 

“The alleged incident would have taken place off-campus, so we involved the Mt. Pleasant Police Department because that would have been their jurisdiction,” she continued. "To my knowledge, there still has not been a police report filed with them, but it’s a potentially criminal matter.”

Crime Time is your destination for breaking crime news, original reporting, and information about Oxygen's programming. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our Martinis & Murder podcast!

You May Also Like...

Recommended by Zergnet