Family Of Las Vegas Shooting Victim Sues Mandalay Bay Hotel For Not Detecting Gunman Sooner

“It's inconceivable to us than once within the hotel that the perpetrator could remain undetected with that cache of weapons."

The father of one of the victims who was shot to death at the country music festival on the Las Vegas strip earlier this month filed a lawsuit Tuesday against the operator of the Mandalay Bay resort for wrongful death and negligence.

Andrea Castilla, of Huntington Beach, California was celebrating her 28th birthday at the three-day festival with her boyfriend and her sister.

Castilla’s father, Gus, filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles County Superior Court this week against MGM Resorts International, which operates Mandalay Bay. Stephen Paddock, 64, shot rapid fire at the outdoor concert from a broken window of his 32nd floor suite inside the Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino. He killed 58 people and then himself. Over 500 people were wounded in the mass shooting.

Gus is also suing concert promoter Live Nation and gun accessory manufacturer Slide Fire Solutions, according to the Los Angeles Times.

The suit seeks out more than $100,000 in damages. It alleges that Mandalay Bay employees were negligent in their inability to notice that Paddock brought up 17 guns to his hotel room. People reports at least one of the guns, a rifle, had been modified with a “bump stock” style device, which allows for rapid fire without a technical conversion to a fully automatic gun. That device alters the gun’s stock so that the shooter can pull the trigger faster. Slide Fire Solutions manufactures that accessory. Paddock also installed security cameras outside his room so he could be alerted if law enforcement were close by.

“It's inconceivable to us that once within the hotel the perpetrator could remain undetected with that cache of weapons for three to five days, mount surveillance cameras and hide behind do-not-disturb signs without detection if the hotel engaged in properly conducted security checks,” The father’s attorney, Richard Bridgford, said on Wednesday.

A representative of Live Nation put out a statement: “We continue to be devastated by the tragedy at the Route 91 festival, heartbroken for the victims, their families and the countless people forever impacted by this senseless act of violence and are cooperating fully with the active FBI investigation.”

Slide Fire Solutions and MGM did not comment on the lawsuit.

In an interview with the Los Angeles Times, Miller said he brought an engagement ring with him to Las Vegas. He was planning on proposing to Andrea on their trip.

“We wanted every single second together. We did more in seven months than most couples get to do in a lifetime,” Miller said.

[Photo: Facebook]

Crime Time is your destination for breaking crime news, original reporting, and information about Oxygen's programming. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our Martinis & Murder podcast!

All Posts About:
Breaking News

You May Also Like...

Recommended by Zergnet