The FBI has found a second man linked to the terror attack in lower Manhattan. According to the New York Daily News, authorities were looking for Mukhammadzoir Kadirov. Ninety minutes after the announcement went out on Wednesday, the 32-year-old man was found.
“We have found him and I’ll leave it at that,” said William Sweeney, head of the New York FBI office.
It's unclear what Kadirov's connection is to the Tuesday attack. He is from the same country of origin (Uzbekistan) as the terror suspect, 29-year-old Sayfullo Saipov. According to NBC, it's not clear if Kadirov was aware of Saipov's terror plot, but authorities have said "there is nothing that indicates he may have been involved in the attack."
As previously reported, Saipov (seen below) is the suspect behind the terror attack in New York City. He is charged with killing eight people and injuring almost a dozen when he drove a rented pickup truck down a bike path near the World Trade Center in downtown Manhattan. CNN reported that a note was found near the truck stating that the attack was made in the name of the terrorist group ISIS.
"This was an act of terror, and a particularly cowardly act of terror," New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said in a press conference, "aimed at innocent civilians, aimed at people going about their lives who had no idea what was about to hit them."
An NYPD officer opened fire on Saipov, striking him in the abdomen. He recovered.
On Wednesday, federal prosecutors shared that the driver had a long-planned plot, inspired by ISIS propaganda, to kill people celebrating Halloween. The New York Times shared that federal prosecutors believe he began planning the attack about a year ago and did a test run last week. He apparently chose Halloween as the day to strike as more people would be out on the streets of the city.
This is the deadliest terror attack on New York City since September 11, 2001.
[Photos: FBI, Getty Images]