A new mother is suing the hospital after she accidentally smothered her newborn.
Thompson was heavily medicated with painkillers and sleep aids while Jacob, who was born via C-section in August 2012, was left in the bed with her so she could breastfeed him. KATU shares that Thompson was a first-time mother. When she awoke, she found the newborn not responding. “About an hour later, still drowsy and groggy, Mrs. Thompson noticed her son was unresponsive in her arms,” the lawsuit states.
Jacob suffered brain damage and his parents ultimately removed him from life support six days later. Doctors told them that his comatose state would be irreversible.
The lawsuit is alleging negligence on the part of the hospital for medicating Thompson, placing the newborn in her bed without supervision and not having clear policies or enforcement on the dangers associated with this.
[Photo: Family photo]