A New York City school has been shut down following the death of a 3-year-old. According to NBC New York, Elijah Silvera died on November 3 after eating a grilled cheese sandwich. He was allergic to dairy and went into anaphylactic shock at the Seventh Avenue Center for Family Services in Harlem.
The pre-K school was closed Wednesday as the New York City Health Department investigates. The school was closed for failing to adequately supervise the child and follow its written safety plan. According to a GoFundMe page, his family believes that Silvera was served the sandwich “despite them [the school] knowing and having documented that he has a severe allergy to dairy."
The child was rushed to the Harlem Hospital pediatric emergency room, but doctors were unable to save him.
"There is nothing more important than the safety of our children and we are deeply saddened by this tragedy. We will get to the bottom of what happened here. In the meantime, we’re closing the Center for Family Services and continuing to aggressively investigate what happened and whether the facility could have done something differently to prevent this tragedy," a statement by the New York City Health Department read.
The GoFundMe has been set up so that the family can get an independent autopsy report.
"We want to find out exactly what caused Elijah’s death and that will mean sorting out exactly where, if any, breakdowns may have occurred at either the school or the hospital," the fund says. "Having a third party medical examination will ensure our ability to get a clear picture. We just want justice for Elijah."
The goal has been met with over $28,000 being donated.