A Louisiana teen said he was fired from McDonald's for posting a photo of mold he found inside the fast food restaurant’s ice cream machine.
The 18-year-old who is only speaking under his first name, Nick, told BuzzFeed News a month ago, his manager asked him to refill the ice cream machine. He accidentally spilled some of the ice cream and while cleaning up his mess he came across what seemed like some pretty gross mold.
"I was completely shocked by what I saw," Nick said after finding what appearing to be a coating of mold covering the inside of a tray.
He said that no employees at this location were ever told to clean the inside of the ice cream machine.
He decided to share the image online.
"I shared it because I wanted to let people know what they’re consuming, and how disgusting the conditions are.”
A company-wide policy discourages McDonald's employees from sharing anything online that may "undermine the goodwill, reputation, development and/or operation" of its brand. Any deviation from the can result in termination of employment, which is what happened to Nick.
A spokesperson for McDonald's told Buzzfeed News,"This is a part of our soft-serve equipment that does not come into contact with any food and is required to undergo regular and timely cleaning.”
The responses to Nick’s tweet varied: