A routine medical procedure turned into a deadly disaster when a Russian hospital staff accidentally embalmed a woman while she was alive.
Ekaterina Fedyaeva, 28, had been diagnosed with ovarian cysts and was advised to treat it through a minor invasive surgery, according to RT, the state-controlled Russian news network.
During the surgery in March, nurses mixed up saline solution with formalin, a solution containing formaldehyde, which preserves corpses. Fedyaeva was pumped full of the toxic solution.
Upon realizing the error, the medical team attempted to wash out the Fedyaeva's abdominal cavity — to no avail.
The next day, Fedyaeva told her mother that she was dying after briefly regaining consciousness. She had been hooked up to numerous machines to keep her alive. Her organs began failing.
Galina Baryshnikova, the victim's mother, said the death was nothing short of "murder."
"Her legs were moving, she had convulsions, her whole body was shaking," she said to The Sun in London.
"I put socks on her, then a robe, then a blanket but she was shivering to such an extent, I can’t even describe it."
Rashid Abdullov, minister of health, family and social well-being for the Ulyanovsk region, has offered his condolences to the family.
“This is a terrible tragedy. We will provide all the necessary aid to the family," Abdullov wrote on Twitter late last week. "Those responsible for the tragedy have been already brought to liability and the investigative agencies continue to work.”
How exactly the mistake was made is unclear. Reports from RT indicated that nurses did not read the labels on the chemicals.
No charges have been filed for the death.
[Photo: Getty Images]