After String Of Bombings, Austin Bomber Kills Himself With Explosive Device

The suspect, identified as Mark Anthony Conditt, reportedly detonated an explosive in his car. Authorities worry there are more packages circulating.

Police say that the person behind the string of deadly bombings that have rattled Texas this month is dead.

The suspect — a 23-year-old white man — reportedly blew himself up as authorities were closing in on him early Wednesday, according to NBC News. He has been identified as Mark Anthony Conditt, according to The Associated Press. Police suspect he is behind the 5 explosions which have killed two people and injured five over the past 19 days. 

The alleged serial bomber detonated an explosive inside his car after a SWAT team tried to pull him over and arrest him on the shoulder of a highway.

Developments into the suspect’s identity emerged over the last 36 hours, according to CNN. The man began as a person of interest and then over the last day, transformed into a suspect.

The mayor of Texas’s capital Austin Mayor Steve Adler announced on "Today" that, "As a community, we're just really relieved and just incredibly thankful for this army of law enforcement that has been in our community for the last week or so."

Even though the alleged suspect is dead, authorities worry that there could be more packages circulating. 

ATF Special Agent in Charge Fred Milanowski said during a press relief that he is "concerned that there may still be other devices out there."

Package bombs have rattled Texas over the last month. On Tuesday, there was an explosion at a FedEx facility outside San Antonio, according to CNN.

An employee suffered minor injuries. Local police said, through a statement posted on Facebook, that “the explosion came from a package in the sorting area of the facility. One person was treated and released at the scene.

”The package was intended to reach an Austin address and the return address was also from Austin, according to CBS Austin.

The string of bombings began on March 2, when a blast from a package left one man dead. Anthony Stephan House, 39, died after a package left on his front porch detonated, according to Fox News.

Then, on March 12, 17-year-old Draylen Mason was killed and his mom was hurt after a package bomb detonated inside their home. That very same day, just a few miles away, Esperanza Herrera, a 75-year-old woman, was wounded when another package exploded. This past Sunday, a fourth bomb exploded in Austin, one that police suspect was triggered by a tripwire. Two men in their twenties were injured, CNBC reported. That bomb was left on the side of a road. More packages were found Tuesday night. Authorities located them before they could donate them.

Police believe they may have a serial bomber on their hands, and there has been speculation that the bomber is targeting prominent families of color.

[Photo: Getty Images]

Crime Time is your destination for breaking crime news, original reporting, and information about Oxygen's programming. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our Martinis & Murder podcast!

All Posts About:
Mark Anthony Conditt Breaking News

You May Also Like...

Recommended by Zergnet