Celebrity Scandals

Robert Wagner Named A 'Person Of Interest' In Natalie Wood's Drowning Death

Police say his version of events just don't add up. 

It’s been four decades since the drowning death of Hollywood icon Natalie Wood. Now, the star’s then-husband, actor Robert Wagner, is being called a person of interest by Los Angeles County Sheriff's investigators. Law enforcement spoke to "48 Hours" about the new revelations, which will air this Sunday at 10 PM ET/PT on CBS.

"As we've investigated the case over the last six years, I think he's more of a person of interest now," Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department Lieutenant John Corina says on the upcoming episode. "I mean, we know now that he was the last person to be with Natalie before she disappeared."

Police said that Wagner has refused to speak to them about Wood’s death since it was reopened. Corina said that when he did talk, he often had conflicting stories.

"I haven't seen him tell the details that match all the other witnesses in this case," Corina says. "I think he's constantly changed his story a little bit. And his version of events just don't add up."

Wood’s untimely death at 43 in 1981 stunned the nation. She drowned while sailing off the coast of Catalina Island along with Wagner, star Christopher Walken and the boat’s captain. At about 1:30 AM on  November 29, 1981, Wood disappeared from the 60-foot yacht that she and Wagner owned. Six hours later, her body was spotted floating facedown 200 yards away from Catalina Island, according to Vanity Fair. She was found wearing a flannel nightgown, red down jacket and blue wool socks. Not far from her body, an inflatable dinghy had washed up on some rocks.

At the time, her death was ruled an accidental drowning. The case was reopened 30 years later in 2011. In 2013, bruises on Wood's body led the Los Angeles County coroner's office to change the cause of death, CNN reported. Instead of "accidental drowning," it became "drowning and other undetermined factors."

Wagner, 87, has denied any involvement in Wood's death many times. In 2016, he told People that "we were all so shattered by the loss."

Natalie Wood was one of the biggest stars in Hollywood up until her controversial death. She was a child actor who starred in "Miracle on 34th Street" and the iconic "Rebel Without a Cause." She is equally known for her role in "West Side Story." By 24, she had already received three Academy Award nominations.

[Photos: Getty Images]

Crime Time is your destination for breaking crime news, original reporting, and information about Oxygen's programming. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our Martinis & Murder podcast!

All Posts About:
Celebrity Scandals Breaking News

You May Also Like...

Recommended by Zergnet