Meet Guest Judge Jim Bowes
Jim Bowes is a graduate of the Academy of Art University and founder of GreenGraffiti® an unconventional street marketing firm that combines street art and advertising for brands such as KEEN Footwear, Heineken, Sony, LG, Sonos, and Starbucks. Jim Bowes collaborates with illustrators and fine artists using public spaces as his canvas and a power washer as his brush to literally clean images out of the dirt. Raised in Humboldt County California, Jim grew up surrounded by a community of fine artists including his mother Brenda Tuxford a locally renowned print maker. Jim moved to Amsterdam and learned to use stencils while working with the late Herman Brood who was known for his hedonistic lifestyle of "sex, drugs and rock 'n roll" and as a Dutch icon who later in life became a successful painter whose works grace the walls of many museums and galleries.
• Age, Hometown: 51; Amsterdam, The Netherlands
• When did you first become involved in the world of street art? Age 35 while working with Herman Brood.
• Who inspires you (artist or non-artist)? My greatest inspirations are Herman Brood the most socially responsible person I have ever known and Charles Ruffolo my dear friend, mentor and fellow entrepreneur.
• What advice would you give to up and coming artists? Earning from your creative talents is not selling out, it's valuing your creative gift. Earning from your work allows you to concentrate your time and energy on your passions and doing what you are good at.
• What is something the street art world would be surprised to know about you? I am not a street artist nor can draw to save my life. But I still can create great works collaborating with others who can. I use reverse graffiti primarily to create advertising. It has a very low impact on the environment.
Tune in to Street Art Throwdown, premiering Tuesday Feb. 3 at 9/8c!