Free and Cheap Summer Fun in Your City!
You've probably considered all the far-flung options for your summer vacation this year. But you can't always scrape the cash or time together for an exotic trip to the Caribbean or South America. Thankfully, there are plenty of FREE (or near-free) activities happening in a city near you! To all the frugal homebodies in the U.S.: you don't even have to leave your city (or nearby city) for an awesome summer this year!
1. New York, New York
New York is known for its total lack of affordability, but good-vibe summer activities in the Big Apple actually come in all shapes, sizes, and prices. Here are some examples:
- The 4th of July fireworks over the Brooklyn Bridge (pictured) is a time-honored tradition in New York. It's awe-inspiring, it's family-friendly...and it's free!
- Stroll through the Brooklyn Flea market to find some hidden gems, and discover some delicious treats from local food vendors.
- Did you know NYC had free kayaking? Neither did we. But now you do! The Downtown Boathouse offers free kayaking, trips, and classes on New York's waterways!
- Bryant Park in the heart of Midtown offers free movies, yoga, and more throughout the summer. Check out the schedule here.
2. Chicago, Illinois
Chi-town, enjoy your few warm months out of the year stat! Check out some free/cheap events below:
- Spend the day at Navy Pier (pictured)- enjoy food, amusements, special events and more!
- Take in the 55th Annual Chicago Air and Water Show August 16th and 17th!
- Get in touch with Chicago's music scene with The Chicago Blues and Jazz Festivals- both are free (!) events!
- Spend the day at one of Lake Michigan's beautiful beaches!
3. Atlanta, Georgia
Peace up, A-Town (is) down for summer! Here are some fun activities for all you peaches:
- Have a picnic, go for a stroll, or do something else that people do in parks.
- Groove to the Tunes from the Tombs Festival at the Oakland Cemetary.
- See Atlanta like never before on the SkyView Ferris Wheel.
- Catch a film the old-timey way under the stars at the Starlight Drive-In Theatre.
4. Miami, Florida
Party in the city where the heat is on! Or, you know, try some new things right outside your doorstep. Check out some fun things Miami has to offer this summer:
- Check out the amazing collection of street art at the Wynwood Walls (pictured.)
- The Pinecrest Gardens features thousands of types of flora and fauna plus you can take classes, listen to music, watch movies and more!
- Discover Little Havana on 8th Street or Calle Ocho- enjoy food, drinks, and oh yeah... Carnival!
- You're in Miami! Go to the beach every chance you get!
5. Los Angeles, California
We can't all be A-list actors, some of us are on a budget! Check out some affordable summer activities in and around L.A.:
- Try a new sport! Sunset Padel wants to introduce you to the fun, healthy, competitive activity.
- Explore downtown L.A.'s art scene during The Downtown Art Walk.
- The Pasadena City College Flea Market is held on the first Sunday of every month. Go find some treasures!
- Check out the crazies on Venice Beach! It never fails!
[Photos courtesy of Getty Images]
Got any fun and cheap summer activities to do in your city? Comment below!