Conservatives have a new target for their vitriol: Disney’s Frozen. Yes, you read that right. Over the weekend, GOP candidates including Ted Cruz, Bobby Jindal and Mike Huckabee attended the National Religious Liberties Conference. It included a talk by militant right-winger Geoff Botkin. The National Religious Liberties Conference is hosted by “hardline fundamentalists,” which seems like something of an understatement when it comes to describing Mr. Botkin.
In his talk, Botkin took Frozen to task, while men who are seriously attempting to make a run for President of The United States of America lent him their ears. Botkin had a real bone to pick with the adorable movie, using it to bolster the right-wing notice that society is collapsing. We’re not the first to make this pun, but it might be high time the GOP just learned to let it go. Here are Botkin’s wacky allegations against Frozen:
1. Frozen is proof that America is under Satan’s spell
2. “Let It Go” is analogous to Eve’s temptation in the Garden of Eden
3. “Let It Go” is “Satan’s rebellion anthem,” corrupting children
4. “Let It Go” has a “spirit of licentiousness”
5. The popularity of Frozen is evidence that people don’t follow the Bible properly
6. God “will chasten our nation,” meaning he will retaliate against the popularity of Frozen
7. Bonus point: the organizer of the National Religious Liberties Conference, Kevin Swanson, has said in the past that Frozen turns little girls into lesbians.
So there you have it. While Cruz, Huckabee and Jindal were only in attendance at the event and didn’t actually make the attack against Frozen, we're wondering if they're on the same page. All three candidates have been campaigning to shut down funding to Planned Parenthood, which would mean limiting women’s reproductive rights. Frozen and the song “Let It Go” are about female freedom and empowerment. Is this what right wingers are really taking issue with in the Disney movie?