Smartphone Battery Explodes After Curious Man Bites Into It (Video)

Apparently, he was trying to test it.

How do you test a smartphone battery to make sure it's legit? By biting into it, if you ask some people.

An unidentified man in China is getting a lot of attention this week after video of a smartphone battery literally blowing up in his face went viral.

According to Taiwan News, the man was shopping for a replacement battery for his iPhone at an electronics store in Nanjing City, Jiangsu Province last week when his unconventional way of testing the product's authenticity — by biting into it — resulted in unexpected consequences. The battery literally exploded mere moments after he began moving it away from his face.

Luckily, no one was injured during the blast. The man's mistake did, however, bring him a bit of anonymous internet fame; footage of the incident, captured by the store's CCTV cameras and posted on the Chinese video sharing site Miaopai, has reportedly been viewed over 4.4 million times.

So, why did he bite the battery the first place? According to Taiwan News, biting is a common method for shoppers in China looking to test the authenticity of gold. Unfortunately for the mystery cellphone biter, the lithium-ion batteries commonly used in cellphones don't actually contain very much gold, as Gizmodo pointed out, so his bite test was pretty pointless to begin with.

[Photo: YouTube]

You May Also Like...

Recommended by Zergnet