We asked Head Judge Joe Capobianco to share some of his favorite moments from Season 3 of Best Ink. From meeting the artists to Darnell "wreck[ing] some sh*t" in the Demolition Derby Flash Challenge, our favorite hot-tempered tattoo critic had a grand old time this season. Flip through Joe's top 5 moments, and read his highlights below!
Here are my highlights from Season 3!
1. One of the things I look forward to every season is meeting the artists. I truly enjoy getting to know them and discovering who these people are. That in itself is a highlight for me doing Best Ink.
2. I don't consider myself a great teacher nor mentor. That's why I've never chosen to take on an apprentice. But I've been fortunate enough to have met many artists looking for some sort of advice or pep talk (believe it or not)!
My talk with Danny was like that. I felt like the kid was feeling overwhelmed and lost. In my experience, a quick kick in the ass solves more than coddling or praising do. I'd like to think he took more away from that conversation than just a kid being hollered at by an elder.
3. One of my favorite Ink Challenges was watching Joe and Willy working side by side. Many artists in our field take advantage of working with others. This helps push each artist, and take them down artistic paths they may otherwise have known little about.
4. One of the things I most enjoy about being a judge on the show is working with Hannah and Sabina. I so look up to and dig Hannah as an artist and a tattooer. It’s a true pleasure to work on the show with her. Meeting some of our guest judges was another highlight. Matthew Bone is an incredibly talented artist and good friend, so being able to work with him was a blast. Also after three seasons of Best Ink, this was the first time I got to meet Justin Bua. I gotta say I like and admire the man personally and professionally.
5. Finally, one of my all-time favorite moments in the show was watching Darnell climb in and get behind the wheel during the Demolition Derby Challenge. That was one kid who just could not wait to wreck some shit!