An 11-year-old girl fell victim to a freak accident over the weekend. According to NBC New York, Kayla Matos of Newark was playing in a raft and swimming in a lagoon in New Jersey when she got electrocuted.
Matos was hanging with friends in a raft on Saturday, under the supervision of adults, when she reportedly touched a boat lift and was electrocuted. She was given CPR on the scene and taken to a medical center in Toms River. She died later that evening there.
The lagoon was behind the friend's house. CBS adds that two other girls were in the raft at the time—all were wearing life preservers—and were not harmed.
PIX 11 shares that two of the girls touched the rail of the raft to a metal boat lift. Police believe that electrical current energized the equipment and caused the shock.