11-Year-Old Girl Electrocuted While Swimming In Lagoon

Girl died after being electrocuted in the water

By Sowmya Krishnamurthy

An 11-year-old girl fell victim to a freak accident over the weekend. According to NBC New YorkKayla Matos of Newark was playing in a raft and swimming in a lagoon in New Jersey when she got electrocuted.

Matos was hanging with friends in a raft on Saturday, under the supervision of adults, when she reportedly touched a boat lift and was electrocuted. She was given CPR on the scene and taken to a medical center in Toms River. She died later that evening there.

The lagoon was behind the friend's house. CBS adds that two other girls were in the raft at the time—all were wearing life preservers—and were not harmed. 

PIX 11 shares that two of the girls touched the rail of the raft to a metal boat lift. Police believe that electrical current energized the equipment and caused the shock.

 

[Photo: GoFundMe]

Related Stories

Crime Time is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our true crime podcast Martinis & Murder for all the best true crime content. 

You May Also Like...
Recommended by Zergnet