Ohio’s heroin epidemic keeps sinking to new lows. Less than a week after a 13-year-old boy died after getting into his father’s drug supply, two people in the town of Portsmouth, across the Ohio River from Kentucky, have been arrested after the near death of their 18-month-old daughter from a suspected heroin overdose. How the child ingested the drug, which has been wreaking havoc in the Buckeye State, is still unknown.
CBS News reports a police officer was approached Wednesday night by a frantic individual who said a baby was believed to be overdosing on heroin on the sidewalk. The officer then saw an SUV flee the scene. It contained the child and her father, 41-year-old Jason Bolden, who with a friend was taking the unconscious toddler to a nearby hospital. At the same time, the officer was told the child’s mother was also overdosing at a nearby apartment. Upon entering the domicile, he found Brandy Estep, 26, who was unresponsive and needed medical treatment as well.
According to CBS affiliate WTRF, both mother and daughter were taken to the Southern Ohio Medical Center. The child was later flown to Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus where she continues to undergo treatment. So far, toxicology screens have been unable to provide a cause for the child’s lack of consciousness and inability to breathe. It is suspected that she somehow ingested the heroin stash of her parents, known heroin users.
Estep and Bolden were arrested and charged with Child Endangering, a third degree felony. of the third degree. The case is still under investigation, with additional charges against the parents expected.
[Photo: Portsmouth Police Department]