A British law student vacationing in Ibiza died after five bags of ecstasy exploded in her stomach, the New York Post reported.
Rebecca Brock, 18, was discovered next to a pool of blood in a hotel room on the infamous Spanish island.
The amount of ecstasy in her system was double the level of a lethal dose, police stated.
Brock’s mother, Margarita Brock, said that she believed her daughter was forced to be a drug mule after investigators found five plastic bags in her stomach.
“Spanish authorities say five bags were found which were wrapped with elastic bands,” Brock said, according to the Post. “They said it would probably have been four hours before something happened.”
Brock said her daughter had tried cocaine in the past, but she hadn’t liked it. “She was very clear about what she let into her body and what she didn’t,” Brock said.
She thinks this is why her daughter must have swallowed the bags under duress.
“She wouldn’t take any pills easily — I can’t imagine that getting in her body at all,” she explained. “If she didn’t have to take a pill, she wouldn’t do because she couldn’t swallow it. I can’t see any other way than someone making that happen.”
Mairin Casey, the coroner in the case, said that it wasn’t clear how the drugs were ingested, but there was no obvious evidence of assault.
“No witnesses to the investigation had seen her take drugs in Ibiza,” Casey said. “I find it impossible to say how a pack or packs were ingested. How these bags were in her stomach we will never know.”
“It is likely that Becky became unwell and confused and most probably died a short time thereafter,” she added. “It is not possible to say whether she would have been conscious or not. The conclusion I arrive at is this is a drug-related death.”