A bodybuilder mom died earlier this summer, reportedly of a protein overdose due to an undiagnosed medical issue, People magazine reported.
Australian Meegan Hefford, 25, had an urea cycle disorder, which interferes with the body’s ability to break down protein. As Hefford prepared for a September bodybuilding competition, she consumed protein supplements to bulk up, Perth Now reported.
Shortly before her death, Hefford told her mom that she was feeling “weird” and exhausted, which her mother believed was due to all the exercise she had been doing.
But on June 19, she was discovered unconscious in her apartment. After two days in the hospital, doctors diagnosed her with urea cycle disorder. By that point, her brain was flooded with fluid, and she was declared brain dead the following day.
Hefford had two children, ages 7 and 5.
“I know there are people other than Meegan who have ended up in hospital because they’ve overloaded on supplements,” said her mother, Michelle White, to Perth Now. “The sale of these products needs to be more regulated.”
Crime Time is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our true crime podcast Martinis & Murder for all the best true crime content.