A father and son overdosed from what appears to be heroin at a family party. According to the NY Daily News,
44-year-old Joseph Andrade (seen below) and 22-year-old Carlos Andrade (above) were found unconscious next to each other at 3 a.m. on Sunday in Brooklyn. They had briefly left a family birthday party for a smoke break.
Carlos' girlfriend reportedly found him struggling for breath and with his face turning purple. Emergency responders arrived and gave the two Narcan, a medication that can reverse an opioid overdose. They were rushed to a nearby hospital where they died shortly after 4 a.m.
“It’s something awful, these drugs being sold on the street that kill people. It makes it so they can’t breathe. This is what killed them,” said family member Yovanny Santos. He said authorities told him that they found cocaine in the older Andrade's pocket but it was a mix of heroin that took their lives. “These people selling drugs on the street, they don’t care about killing people for it. They don’t care. They just want to make money.”
“I’m so surprised because I know Carlos, and I never know that he used drugs or anything like that," shared Santos. Carlos leaves behind a 4-year-old son. “I told him he just went out for a bit. I don’t know what to say,” Santos explained. “This kid was crazy about his dad. He and his dad were together always. I don’t know what he’s going to do now.
The NY Daily News says that the opioid epidemic has affected New York City, with 1,300 people dying of overdoses last year. Of those deaths, 80% come from opioid overdoses while 90% were caused by ingesting heroin or fentanyl.