In an exclusive interview with The Mirror, the father of the man driving Princess Diana at the time of her death says the fatal car crash that killed them was part of a murder plot.
“Diana was killed and my son was killed. I believe they were both murdered,” said 85-year-old Jean Paul. His son Henri was behind the wheel of the Mercedes-Benz carrying the Princess of Wales and her boyfriend Dodi Fayed on the night of August 30, 1997, when it crashed into a support beam in a tunnel in Paris, France, killing all three.
The first wife of Charles, Prince of Wales, 68-year-old heir apparent to the British crown, Princess Diana had been divorced for just over a year at the time of her death. In July of 1997, she had begun dating Fayed, a film producer and the eldest son of Egyptian billionaire Mohamed Al-Fayed. Henri Paul was Deputy Head of Security at the Hôtel Ritz Paris, which was owned by the Fayed family. Paul had been off duty on the night of the crash, but was asked to drive the couple from the hotel to Fayed’s apartment a short distance away. The car crashed as it sped away in an attempt to elude paparazzi, who were following it at a close distance behind. British and French inquests determined that Paul had been drunk on the night of the crash, and may have also been taking anti-depressants, which would have strengthened the effects of the alcohol.
Jean Paul, however, says these allegations against his son are “just lies.” He believes his son’s blood sample, which showed it at three times the French legal limit for drunk driving, was switched at the hospital, either accidentally or on purpose. He claims he has spoken to British law enforcement officials who also believe the crash was a premeditated murder attempt. “Inside Scotland Yard, some believe there was a secret plot to kill Diana,” he told The Mirror.
It’s a belief shared by Mohamed Al-Fayed, who has gone on record saying that Diana’s former father-in-law Prince Phillip ordered her death to prevent her from marrying a Muslim. He has also claimed Diana was pregnant by Dodi at the time of her death, though has never been able to offer proof to backs up his allegations. A recent article in British tabloid The Sun claims the 88-year-old tycoon visits his son’s grave 300 days a year.
Jean Paul, meanwhile, fears he will never really know what happened on the night of his son’s death. “I have no real hope to know what really happened. Perhaps it will be known in 30 or 50 years,” he told The Mirror. But I would really like to know before I die. But I don’t think it will happen.” On one point, though, he is certain. “The very last thing I want to say about this incident is: Someone killed my son. Someone killed my son.”
[Photo: Getty Images]