A mother believes that her missing backpacker son was abducted somewhere in Peru. According to the NY Daily News, 22-year-old Jesse Galganov of Montreal went on a trip last month. He was going on an eight-month expedition through South America and Southeast Asia and was last heard of from on Sept. 28.
“He is a very responsible adult,” the mother, Alisa Clamen, told NBC’s Dateline. “At first I thought he may have just extended his trip or taken a longer route.” The backpacker texted his mom on Sept. 28 and said that he might be unable to communicate for a few days as he traversed the Santa Cruz trail through the Cordillera Blanca Mountains. He said he'd be reachable after October 2.
His friends also echoed that his silence has been palpable. “He is an experienced traveler and an excellent communicator,” friend Julien Miller shared. “We have to assume that if he had access to communication, he would contact us.”
Clamen (seen below) believes that her son may have been abducted in Peru. She filed a missing persons report with the U.S. State Department on October 14 and then contacted the Peruvian Embassy, as well as the Canadian and American Embassies, as Galganov is a dual citizen.
Through the Peruvian National Police, it's become discovered that the young man departed Lima on a Cruz del Sur Bus on Sept. 27 and arrived in Huaraz the next morning. He left the bus station and went in the direction of the Kame House Backpacker Hostel, where he was planning to stay. Employees of the hostel gave varying stories of when Galganov arrived and left the property.
The local authorities are conducting a criminal investigation.
[Photo: Facebook, Family photo]