Police in Carrollton, Texas are being applauded for saving the life of a weeks-old puppy that had accidentally ingested its owners heroin stash. According to CBS News, officers were responding to a theft call at an area Home Depot, when they came across the dog, whimpering on the floorboards of a pickup truck in the parking lot. In an interview with CBS DFW, Carrollton Police spokeswoman Jolene DeVito said, “We weren’t sure exactly what was going on with it, but there was drug paraphernalia.”
The drugs belonged to the puppy’s owners, who police say were inside the Home Depot, switching price tags on items. Police figured the dog must have eaten the drugs while being left alone in the truck. After taking the dog to the North Texas Emergency Pet Clinic for treatment, their suspicions were confirmed. “Sure enough, he was basically suffering from a heroin overdose,” said DeVito.
A post on the Carrollton Texas Police Department Facebook Page said, “Our many thanks today to Dr. Stacie Fowler and the staff at North Texas Emergency Pet Clinic for nursing this honorary K-9 back to health.” In the comments section, Dr. Fowler responded that it was her "pleasure to care for this sweet baby!” Upon full recovery, the dog will be placed in the care of the City of Carrollton Animal Services and put up for adoption. His owners, Thomas Romero, 46, and Nina Crawford, 38, were arrested for heroin possession and for fraudulent destruction, removal, or concealment of writing. Animal abuse charges will likely be added, according to police.