Remember That Time Remy Ma Went To Jail For Shooting Her Friend?

Rapper spent six years in jail.

By Sowmya Krishnamurthy

Everyone is talking about Remy Ma's lyrical assault on Nicki Minaj in "Shether." For some fans, the song may have come out of nowhere. But for aficionados of rap, Remy Ma has been an active part of the New York City scene since 2000. With appearances alongside the late Big Pun, Fat Joe and Eminem, the Bronx native had a promising career that was halted due to altercations with the law. 

In July 2007, Remy Ma (born: Reminisce Smith) was arrested outside of New York City hot spot Pizza Bar surrounding the shooting of her friend. According to NY Daily News, Remy reportedly had a verbal altercation with 23-year-old Makeda Barnes-Joseph. A 911 call about gunfire brought authorities to the scene. There, Barnes-Joseph was found shot in her lower torso, sometime before 4 a.m. 

The victim later said that the shooting was over money; Remy allegedly accused her of stealing about $3,000 and shot her twice. "What hurts me is that when she shot me she went over and dumped the bag," the victim said, per NY Daily News. "She didn't even say, 'Oh, my God, I just shot her.' That's what hurt me so much."

Remy pled not guilty to charges of attempted murder, first-degree assault and weapons charges. She was initially released with a $250,000 bond but later charged with witness tampering and gang assault. Prosecutors claim Remy's boyfriend had some people beat up, including the boyfriend and a friend of a witness.

According to the NY Times, Remy's team claimed that she fired the gun accidentally during a struggle with Barnes-Joseph. Prosecution claimed that Remy shot her friend on purpose and then drove away, only to abandon her car and get into a taxi.

On March 28, 2008, Remy was convicted of intentional assault. She was sentenced to eight years in prison (after facing 25). "I'm not a menace to society," the 26-year-old rapper and mother of one said in court per NY Daily News. "I'm not a thug." The judge did not find her repentant, calling her an "extremely angry woman" who "does not take any responsibility for her actions."

The day before sentencing, Remy and her man Papoose tried to tie the knot at Rikers Island. The jailhouse ceremony was called off when he allegedly tried to smuggle a key in with him. "The key that was found today easily opened handcuffs that we and other law enforcement officials use," an official said. Later, they did tie the knot.

On August 1, 2014, Remy was released from the Bedford Hills Correctional Facility for Women after serving over six years. Earlier this year, she told Fader that she is deeply affected by the experience. "I'm almost positive I have some type of PTSD. I really went through a traumatic experience. Almost a decade of my life was consumed by the prison system." She says that she's more grounded now. "Well, I would definitely say I'm not as reckless as I used to be...I'm a little bit smarter now, and more worried about my business."

[Photo: Getty Images]

Related Stories

Crime Time is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our true crime podcast Martinis & Murder for all the best true crime content. 

You May Also Like...
Recommended by Zergnet