Teen Charged With Murder After Filming Girl’s Suicide

Police believe a Utah teenager played an "active role" in a 16-year-old's death. According to police, he said he has a "fascination with death" and "wanted to see what it was like to see someone die." 

By Benjamin H. Smith

A teenager from Utah is facing murder charges after police say he filmed the death of a girl found hanged in a campground at Payson Canyon, an hour south of Salt Lake City. The Salt Lake City Tribune reports Tyerell Joe Przybycien, 18, was arrested in connection with the death of a 16-year-old girl who went missing Friday night. Turkey hunters found her dead body hanging from a tree Saturday morning, not long after her mother reported her missing.

After going to the campground where the body was found, police were approached by Przybycien, according to Fox 13 Salt Lake City. "As they were conducting that part of the investigation, a young man comes up to them and says, 'I know who this girl is, and I was here when she died,'" said Sergeant Spencer Cannon of the Utah County Sheriff's Department. Police say Przybycien told them the girl had called him Friday night and that, together, they bought items with which the girl would kill herself. According to Cannon, Przybycien told police he has a "fascination with death" and "wanted to see what it was like to see someone die." 

Przybycien then drove the girl to the canyon and starting filming her suicide. According to CBS News, footage on the girl’s cellphone shows the two of them discussing her suicide. Then, while standing on a rock, the girl puts a rope around her neck and inhales a can of aerosol, passing out, and falling off the rock. According to Cannon: "Her weight goes down on the rope and she’s hanging there. He does nothing to try and talk her out of this, does nothing to physically keep her from doing it. In fact, while she’s doing this you can see him go up on the recording and check to verify that she’s dead, and then he leaves the scene.”

Though police believe the girl was suicidal, they determined Przybycien played an “active role” in her death, based on what he told them, and evidence they collected. Przybycien was arrested and booked into the Utah County Jail, with bail set at $20,000 cash. While refusing to speak on camera, Przybcien’s grandfather Larry told Fox 13 he was surprised to hear about the allegations against his grandson, who he described as a nice guy, a good student, but also a loner.

Related Stories

Crime Time is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our true crime podcast Martinis & Murder for all the best true crime content. 

You May Also Like...
Recommended by Zergnet