Teen May Have Been Electrocuted By Her Cellphone While Taking A Bath

A 14-year-old died in the bath and her family believes her cellphone killed her.

By Sowmya Krishnamurthy

People take their cellphones everywhere. According to a University of Arizona study, per BuzzFeed, the average person uses their cellphone for two hours a day. But could a cellphone be the cause of a teen's death? According to the Washington Post, the family of 14-year-old Madison Coe believe that her phone fell into the bathtub while she was bathing and killed her by electrocution.

On Saturday, the Texas teen was taking a bath at her father's home in Lovington, New Mexico and her Samsung Edge Plus was plugged into the wall. After 20 minutes passed her father found the teen passed out and unresponsive, with apparent burn marks on her hand.

“There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone,” Madison’s grandmother, Donna O’Guinn, told KCBD-TV. “And that was just very obvious that that’s what had happened.”

Madison's father, an EMT, tried to revive her, as did emergency personnel. Madison was pronounced dead after being transported to the hospital. The medical examiner hasn't ruled on official cause of death, but authorities shared in a news release that “initial evidence shows signs consistent with electrocution.”

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission tells USA Today that it is investigating the incident.

According to KCBD-TVMadison recently graduated from the 8th grade from Terra Vista Middle School.

[Photo: Family photo]


Related Stories

Crime Time is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our true crime podcast Martinis & Murder for all the best true crime content. 

You May Also Like...
Recommended by Zergnet