Video Shows Bullies Beating Classmate In School Bathroom 2 Days Before He Hung Himself

For nearly five minutes students stepped over, pointed, mocked, nudged and kicked the boy as he lay unconscious.

By Gina Tron

Surveillance video shows bullies at a Cincinnati elementary school brutally beating a boy, who took his life two days later. Students are seen kicking and hitting an unconscious 8-year-old boy for five minutes in a bathroom at Carson Elementary School in January, according to a report obtained by the Cincinnati Enquirer. It is not entirely clear at this time how the boy became unconscious in the first place. 

"I witnessed behavior that in my belief is bullying and could even rise to the level of criminal assault," if not for their ages, a police detective said, according to that report.

Gabriel Taye hanged himself from his bunk bed two days after the vicious attack, according to the New York Daily NewsAccording to, Cincinnati Public Schools said on Thursday that it would release the security camera video of the assault from inside Carson Elementary School. Before its release, video will be edited to blur faces of the children involved. A spokeswoman Janet Walsh said the video would be released "when it’s ready.” Also Thursday, Hamilton County Coroner Lakshmi Sammarco announced that her office is reopening the investigation into the child's death.

A Cincinnati Police homicide detective, Eric Karaguleff, viewed the video in February, a week after Taye’s death. He described, according to, how a student yanked Gabriel to the bathroom ground. Then for nearly five minutes, other students stepped over, pointed, mocked, nudged and kicked Taye as he lay still. The school then claimed they contacted the boy’s mother, telling her to have her son checked out at a hospital.

Cincinnati lawyer Jennifer Branch, who represents Taye’s mother, said on Thursday that nobody at the school told Taye’s family what happened.

“On the eve of Mother’s Day, it is unfortunate that CPS chose to blame Gabe's mother for not taking him to the hospital after he was injured at school,” said Branch. “No one from CPS told Gabe's mother that she needed to take him to the hospital. The nurse’s notes verify this. In fact, if his mother had been told that (he) was assaulted and was unconscious for over seven minutes on the bathroom floor, she would have taken him to the hospital and not let him return to Carson. It is helpful that CPS did not deny that Carson officials withheld this vital information from Gabe's mother.”

Hours after the assault, Taye vomited and complained of nausea. According to reports, it was then that his mother took him to Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center. He was diagnosed with the stomach flu. The next day he did not go to school. He attended school the day after that, and hanged himself that night.


Related Stories

Crime Time is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our true crime podcast Martinis & Murder for all the best true crime content. 

You May Also Like...
Recommended by Zergnet