James Thomas Hodgkinson opened fire on a baseball field in Alexandria, Va., shooting members of the Republican congressional team practicing there on Wednesday morning. Four people were shot including Representative Steve Scalise of Louisiana, the majority whip and third-ranking Republican in the House. Two Capitol Police officers were among those wounded. Hodgkinson was killed in the shooting by police.
As the shooter was identified, his public Facebook posts revealed a a great deal about what he believed in. His Facebook profile features a banner image of Senator Bernie Sanders and a profile picture about Democratic Socialism. His profile picture said, “Democratic Socialism explained in 3 words: ‘We the People’ Since 1776.”
1. He did not trust the Republican party.
2. He especially didn't like Trump.
3. He didn't like or trust Hillary Clinton, either. He liked Green Party candidate Jill Stein.
4. He especially liked Bernie Sanders. In fact, he reportedly worked as a volunteer for the Independent Senator's Presidental Campaign.
5. He expressed anger towards Scalise, the lawmaker he shot, as far back as 2015.
6. He was in favor of health care for everyone.
7. He REALLY didn't like Trump.
Crime Time is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our true crime podcast Martinis & Murder for all the best true crime content.