Conor McGregor Avoids Jail Time With Guilty Plea For April Brawl In Brooklyn

Conor McGregor pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor stemming from a fracas outside a UFC media event at the Barclays Center in April.

UFC champion and professional angry man Conor McGregor has pleaded guilty to charges stemming from an angry outburst in Brooklyn earlier this year, dodging jail time and a possible felony conviction, prosecutors said.

McGregor, 29, will do five days of community service and agreed to anger management sessions after copping to a misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct stemming from an incident in April, when he hurled a metal dolly through the window of a UFC bus outside the Barclays Center arena in Brooklyn, according to a spokesman for the Brooklyn District Attorney’s office.

By dodging a felony conviction, the plea will allow McGregor to continue to travel and work in the United States, a law enforcement source told Oxygen.com.

The judge also ordered McGregor — estimated by Forbes to have earned $99 million thus far in 2018 — to pay restitution to the bus company, something a spokesman for the DA’s office said he has already done.

Speaking with reporters outside Brooklyn Supreme Court Thursday morning, McGregor expressed his gratitude for being able to slide without racking up a felony.

“I just wanna say, I’m thankful to the DA and the judge for allowing me to move forward,” McGregor said in the brief press conference.

A fan wielding a megaphone shouted his support as the pro fighter wheeled around to flee reporters, according to a video posted on TMZ.

“You’re a champ, Conor, we’ll do anything for you!” the fan bellowed.

McGregor was arrested on April 5, hours after getting into a spat with fellow MMA brawler Khabib Nurmagomedov, who was at a press event at Barclays ahead of his fight with Max Holloway, according to the New York Post.

The feisty Dubliner was reportedly angry after being stripped of his lightweight championship belt, and may also have been retaliating for an earlier altercation between Nurmagomedov and McGregor pal Artem Lobov, according the MMA blog Bloody Elbow.

McGregor and his entourage showed up at the event looking to confront Nurmagomedov, and as the rival crew was leaving the arena on a slow-moving bus, McGregor hurled a metal dolly through the window, injuring four men onboard, the Post reported.

McGregor was also accused of repeatedly punching a security guard in the fracas. He and his entourage initially fled the scene, but McGregor and one of his henchmen, fellow Irishman Cian Cowley, 23, turned themselves in at the nearby police precinct later that night after video of the brawl surfaced online, according to the Post.

He was initially charged with misdemeanor assault and two counts of felony criminal mischief, but managed to skate on all but a misdemeanor disorderly conduct charge thanks to Thursday’s plea deal, according to a spokesman for Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez.

“This is a fair resolution that holds the defendant accountable, ensures restitution for the victims and requires the defendant to perform community service where he can reflect on his conduct and give back to society,” the spokesman told Oxygen.com in an email.

McGregor hasn’t fought a UFC bout since 2016, but has managed to stay in the headlines thanks to a much-hyped boxing match against Floyd Mayweather Jr. in 2017, along with his antics outside the octagon.

[Photo: Getty Images]

All Posts About:
Breaking News

You May Also Like...

Recommended by Zergnet