Fetty Wap is pretty much a household name. After all, there's hardly a person left in the world who hasn't blasted "Trap Queen" with the windows down at some point over the summer. So is Fetty having the best year ever? The short answer: Yes.
Even though everyone's favorite hood love song/club banger "Trap Queen" first came out in 2014, it took a while for it to blow up. But once it fully caught on it became this summer's unofficial anthem, breaking records all over the place.
Let's look at the facts. Fetty Wap (government name Willie Maxwell) has already had two top 10 hits on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, and he's the first male rapper to have three songs among the top 20 spots since Eminem in 2013. He's also the first rapper in history whose first four charting singles have reached the top 10 of Hot Rap Songs simultaneously. Not enough for you? Ok, consider a few more details.
- He won the 2015 VMA award for Best New Artist.
- He's performed on stage with Taylor Swift
- The mayor of his hometown (Paterson, New Jersey) presented him with a key to the city.
- Every celebrity from Joe Jonas to Ed Sheeran to Doug Funnie has been caught singing "Trap Queen."
- Beyonce and Jay Z are dancing to it
- Kanye West has even said he's a fan (and Kanye usually only admits to being a fan of Kanye)
Despite the astronomical success he's reached, Fetty still seems like a pretty humble dude. He did a free back-to-school concert in his hometown (can you even imagine?) last week, and was nervous about it.
Honestly, it's pretty impossible not to like Fetty Wap, not just because he creates the kind of music you can't help but play on repeat, but because he seems, at least from the outside, like a genuinely nice person. We've only just gotten into September, but you'd be a fool not to call it: 2015 is Fetty's year. And to think... his first album hasn't even come out yet.