10-Year-Old Boy Overdoses On Dad’s Pot-Infused Candy

The boy found the THC-infused gummy candy in the family car, and now the ather is facing child endangerment charges.

Police say a 10-year-old boy suffered a serious health scare after ingesting some of his father’s cannibus-infused candy Sunday night. CBS New York reports officers from the Ramapo Police Department in Rockland County, New York were called to a local emergency room after the boy ingested at least one piece of gummy candy containing 250 mg of THC. Now the boy’s father is facing child endangerment charges, with more charges pending.

According to police, the boy was sitting alone inside the family car when he found a package of FlavRX-brand ‘Pink Lemonade Belts’ sour gummy candy. Each piece of the candy is infused with 250 mg or more of THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, the psychoactive component found in marijuana which causes it’s mind-altering side effects.

 

"The child saw candy and did what most children would have done," said Ramapo Police Lt. Robert Lancia lieutenant in a statement quoted in the Journal News. "He ate some."The package does contain a warning to keep it out of the reach of children.

After consuming the candy, Ramapo Detective Lieutenant Mark Emma said the boy felt “weird and strange" and got “sick to his stomach.” The boy was then taken to an area hospital and police were notified. They later arrested they boy’s father, 37-year-old Ephraim Zagelbaum, of Spring Valley. According to ABC 7 New York, he was charged with endangering the welfare of a child, and more charges may be pending. Zagelbaum claimed the candies belonged to a friend. He was released on his own recognizance and his son was discharged from the hospital after being treated. 

[Photo: Ramapo Police Department]

Crime Time is your destination for breaking crime news, original reporting, and information about Oxygen's programming. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our Martinis & Murder podcast!

You May Also Like...

Recommended by Zergnet