A bomb planted in a morning rush-hour car on the London Underground injured at least 29 people on Friday in the fourth terrorist attack in the city this year, according to the Associated Press.
Here’s what we know about the attack so far:
1. ISIS has claimed responsibility.
Though British investigators have not named a suspect in the attack, the Islamic State claimed responsibility just hours after the explosion. In response, the government raised the national threat level to “critical,” its highest level, Theresa May said.
ISIS claimed that the bombing was planned by a “detachment” of followers, suggesting that more than one person had carried out the attack.
2. The bomb was homemade.
“This was a detonation of an improvised explosive device,” said Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley of the Metropolitan Police at a news conference on Friday, urging anyone with more information or photographs of the attack to come forward.
The bomb apparently included a timer, making it likely that this wasn’t a suicide attack. Photos showed the bomb residing in a white bucket placed in a foil-lined shopping bag, according to the Associated Press.
The bomb did not fully detonate, according to terrorism analysts, and British army bomb expert Chris Hunter told the AP that "there was a bang, a bit of a flash, and that would suggest that, potentially, some of the explosive detonated, the detonator detonated, but much of the explosive was effectively inert."
3. The injuries were minor.
Of the 29 people hospitalized, none had life-threatening injuries, and The New York Times quoted hospital officials as calling the victims “walking wounded.”
But the scene during the explosion was apparently traumatic.
“I had my headphones on, then I felt a kind of vibration, followed by a wave of heat, and I looked down and the whole carriage was in flames,” said Adam Davis, a 23-year-old student in the subway car leaving Parsons Green station, to the Times. “I just got up and ran, but the carriage door was jammed with people. Everyone was screaming and trying to get out, people had blood on them everyone was pushing. It was like a stampede.”
4. British officials were upset with the response of Donald Trump.
At 5:42 am this morning, President Donald Trump tweeted, “Another attack in London by a loser terrorist. These are sick and demented people who were in the sights of Scotland Yard. Must be proactive!” He did not provide any explanation for his claim that the perpetrators had already been investigated by Scotland Yard.
But British Prime Minister Theresa May lightly criticized these comments, telling the BBC “I never think it’s helpful for anybody to speculate on what is an ongoing investigation.” London police responded with similar criticism.
In the wake of the attack, Trump also renewed calling for a nationwide travel ban on citizens from seven majority-Muslim countries.
[Images: Getty Images]