The man who grabbed and shoved an ABC newscaster on New York’s Lower East Side has turned himself in to police. Police sources say 23-year-old Keyjonta Foster surrendered to authorities at a police precinct Monday night, according to the New York Daily News. He had previously bragged on social media that it was a publicity stunt and that he’d never turn himself in, and accused reporter CeFaan Kim of assaulting him.
Kim, a U.S. Army Reserve sergeant, was covering an attempted sex assault for New York’s ABC 7 Friday night when Foster ran up behind him and threw his arm around him, unintelligibly yelling at the camera. He was wearing an old school hockey mask in the style of Jason Vorhees of the Friday the 13th horror movie franchise. As the camera cut to B-Roll footage, Kim and Foster wrestled, with the newscaster eventually being thrown to the ground. Witnesses broke up the scuffle, before Foster ran off into the night. After Kim posted footage of the ruckus to social media, the clip went viral, and tips started pouring in.
Foster is an aspiring rapper, who goes by the stage name Majesty Da Rebel. In an interview with The New York Post Sunday, he said it was all a publicity stunt, and that he never meant for it to turn violent. “I saw an opportunity and took the opportunity to promote my video and mixed tape,” he said. “From the beginning, it was friendly — I put my arm around him, and then he pushed me, grabbed me.” However, on Instagram he was less conciliatory, typing in all caps "COME ON PEOPLE IF I WANTED TO KNOCK HIM OUT IT WOULD OF BEEN SO."
Foster was charged with misdemeanor assault and has three prior arrests, including possession of a knife. In a message on his Facebook page, CeFaan Kim said “Thank you NYPD for professionalism from beginning to end, from the responding officers to the top brass. And to the countless people who flooded social media and the 7th precinct with tips. Overwhelmed by the support. He is now in custody.”