OJ Simpson’s 1989 conviction for misdemeanor spousal abuse wasn’t considered during his July parole hearing, according to TMZ.
Simpson had pleaded no contest in the case in the battery of his then-wife Nicole Brown Simpson, who was later murdered in 1994. Officials wonder if the information would have swayed the parole board differently when they agreed to grant him parole for his 2008 conviction on robbery and kidnapping charges.
The conviction wasn’t listed in documents supplied by the FBI, which the parole board reviewed last July.
Police were called to the Simpson home in Los Angeles on New Year’s Day 1989. According to the New York Post, police said when they arrived they found a distraught Nicole Brown Simpson screaming, “He’s going to kill me!” The attack left her with a fat lip, a black eye, and a handprint on her neck from where OJ had grabbed her.
TMZ claims the conviction had been expunged from the final report that was handed over to the Nevada Parole Board. According to The Post, however, FBI Criminal Justice Information Services Division spokesman Stephen Fischer said, “information can sometimes be missing from a person’s record maintained by the FBI,” due to different state laws, and that submissions by local law enforcement are “primarily voluntary, not compulsory.”
These revelations come just as Nevada assemblywoman Lisa Krasner has announced a new bill she plans to submit which would require boards to consider an inmate’s domestic violence history before granting parole. Krasner said, “This won’t affect O.J. Simpson but it will affect future people who are trying to get out on parole.”
Simpson was granted parole after serving nine years out of a 33-year sentence for the 2007 armed robbery of a sports memorabilia dealer in Las Vegas.
Under the terms of his parole he is not allowed to drink, use non-prescription drugs or posses a firearm until his parole term is over in 2022. His release is expected as soon as October 1, though an exact date is yet to be announced.
[Photo: Getty Images]