British police made a fifth arrest on Wednesday in connection with the Manchester terrorist attack that killed 22 people and injured at least 59.
According to Newsday, Manchester police are investigating the possibility that the suicide bomber who attacked the Ariana Grande concert on Monday was part of a terror network. The suicide bomber has been identified as 22-year-old Salman Abedi.
The fifth arrest came in town of Wigan, nearby Manchester. Police took a man who was carrying a package into custody, according to Manchester police. Police have cordoned off that area as they investigate the package. Three of the arrests took place in South Manchester. On Tuesday, Abedi’s 23-year-old brother was arrested. According to National Public Radio, Abedi’s father has also been arrested. A spokesman for Libya's Special Deterrent force tells the Associated Press that Ramadan Abedi, the father of Salman Abedi, has been detained for questioning in Tripoli.
Manchester Police Chief Constable Ian Hopkins stated Wednesday during a press conference that it was “very clear that this is a network that we are investigating.”
The Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attack, though there is no proof. Officials have not confirmed what role the militant group may have played, if any.
Home Secretary Amber Rudd said Wednesday that it was “likely” the suicide bomber had not acted alone.
“It was more sophisticated than some of the attacks we’ve seen before,” she said. Newsday reported that the bomb was filled with nails and bolts.
Rudd said that Abedi had been known to intelligence services “up to a point.” She added that his recent trips to Libya are being investigated.