Hoverboard Blamed For Killing 4-Year-Old Girl In Tragic Fire

The device was reportedly heard "sizzling and crackling" while recharging.

Hoverboards are often considered to be a dangerous toy. One family in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania may have been the victim of a tragic fire because of a charging hoverboard. Penn Live shares tragic details of a multiple-alarm fire on Friday night that took the life of a four-year-old girl.

The child, who lived at the home along the 2500 block of Lexington Street, died on Saturday morning at the Lehigh Valley Hospital Burn Center. Charles Dominick, who is related to the victims, says that his brother and his fianceè lived at the home with their family.

Fire Chief Brian Enterline says the fire that engulfed the home was due to a rechargeable hoverboard. He shares that the family heard "sizzling and crackling" from the board and outlet. It is not known the make and model of the hoverboard. In February 2016, the Consumer Product Safety Commission deemed hoverboards unsafe and Wired pointed to them catching on fire (caused by overheating) as a major problem.

Other victims include two other girls (in critical condition). An adult male and teenage boy were treated for smoke inhalation and then released.

Fire Chief Brian Enterline addressed the media following the horrific incident:


[Photo: Getty Images]

Crime Time is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxgen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our true crime podcast Martinis & Murder for all the best true crime content.

You May Also Like...

Recommended by Zergnet