Man Charged With Killing Teen Girl Implicated In 2005 Subway Dismemberment

Rashawn Brazell left his Brooklyn home on Valentine's Day morning in 2005. A bag containing his legs, an arm and part of his torso was found three days later between subway stations. His head has never been found.

By Benjamin H. Smith

A Brooklyn man who was charged in the brutal murder of a 2004 teenage girl, has also been linked with a mysterious and gruesome 2005 murder of a man whose body parts were found in the New York City subway system. NBC News reports 38-year-old Kwauhuru Govan was carried into court, literally kicking and screaming, to be arraigned on charges for the 2005 murder of his neighbor Rashawn Brazell.

Govan refused to leave his cell to be arraigned in Brazell’s death. The defiant defendant screamed in court “Kwauhuru Govan is innocent!,” and “I can’t even dissect a frog.” It took over a dozen court officers and plainclothes policeman to restrain him. “Is this what America has come to?,” he yelled. “Is this what President Trump will allow?” 


He is already facing murder and kidnapping charges for the death of high school student Sharabia Thomas, whose nude and battered body was found wrapped in two laundry bags in a Brooklyn alleyway in 2004. 

Govan was already being held in a Florida prison for a 2014 armed robbery when NYPD’s cold case began re-examining the evidence in Thomas’s murder. Govan lived two blocks away from Thomas at the time of her death and his DNA was found on fingernail clippings taken from the dead teen. Despite claiming that he didn’t even know her, Govan was extradited to New York and charged in November with murder and kidnapping in connection with Sharabia’s death.

Rashawn Brazell grew up across the street from Kwauhuru Govan. He disappeared after leaving his family’s Bushwick home on the morning of Valentine’s Day 2005. A bloody plastic bag containing his legs, an arm and part of his torso was found three days later between two Brooklyn subway stations. The rest of his torso later turned up in a garbage recycling center, though his head has never been found. While Govan admitted to knowing Brazell, he falsely claimed to be out of state when he went missing, and was evasive when questioned about his death. NYPD Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce told the New York Daily News a followup investigation produced “certain information and evidence linking Govan to this killing.”

Govan is currently being held without bail. NYPD is now reaching out to other states where he lived to investigate other unsolved murder cases they believe he may have been involved in. 

[Photo: NBC News]

Related Stories

Crime Time is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our true crime podcast Martinis & Murder for all the best true crime content. 

You May Also Like...
Recommended by Zergnet