New court documents reveal details around the sudden overdose death of Prince last year. According to the NY Times, “a sizable amount” of narcotic painkillers were found at the singer's home and recording studio at Paisley Park, which include substances he did not have prescriptions for.
The documents, which were unsealed today, show that Prince apparently hid an opioid addiction by placing drugs in over-the-counter bottles and getting prescriptions in other people's names.
The list of drugs seized included: 20 and a half white pills labeled “Watson 853" (a mix of acetaminophen and hydrocodone) found inside a bottle of Aleve and 64 and one-quarter matching inside a Bayer bottle. The pills contained fentanyl, the drug linked to Prince's death, but investigators cannot say for sure that they were the same pills he took when he overdosed. The "Purple Rain" singer obtained prescriptions in the name of his friend and employee Kirk Johnson as well.
Dr. Michael T. Schulenberg, who treated Prince for hip pain around the time of his death, told authorities that he prescribed the singer Oxycodone on April 14. The prescription was apparently put in Johnson's name to protect the singer's privacym and it was Johnson who picked up three prescriptions the day before Prince died.
These new details are shocking given that Prince had a reputation for living a clean life. According to an earlier NY Times story, he was a vegan and apparently frowned upon the use of recreational drugs. For now, the investigation into Prince's death and the entangled web of players remains open. “The investigation remains active at this point,” said Jason Kamerud, chief deputy for the Carver County Sheriff’s Office.
[Photo: Getty Images]
Crime Time is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our true crime podcast Martinis & Murder for all the best true crime content.