Strangers On Social Media Help Reunite Mom With 5-Year-Old Son After Las Vegas Shooting

"I don’t think we've ever held each other that hard and that tight."

Social media helped a family reunite with their 5-year-old boy after the chaos that erupted from the Las Vegas shootings pushed him away from the group, ABC News reported.

Aden Huser and his aunt were watching Jason Aldean perform when shots rang out. His mother and sister had gone to the bathroom just a few moments before. The crowd stampeded and pushed the 5-year-old boy away from his aunt, leaving his family fearing the worst for two long hours.

Fifty-nine people were killed and more than 520 people were injured in the melée at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino.

Doris Huser, Aden’s mother, said she felt “hopeless and helpless” during those two hours, fearing that her son was dead, but tried to stay strong for her 8-year-old daughter, according to ABC.

Lindsey Rogers, 26, found Aden in the merchandise tent, and made the split-second decision to run with the young boy.

"I was nervous to take him because I knew that his mom would be devastated to find that her child was gone, but in the moment we thought that the best decision was to get as many people as safe as possible. The shots were so sporadic and it wasn’t stopping so we took a chance," Rogers said.

Rogers picked the boy up and fled out of the building, running into a nearby Motel 6. She then called the police, who told them to take the child to the hospital. Meanwhile her friend, Taylor Sutton, and her boyfriend, off-duty police officer Chris Cunningham, posted photos of Aden to social media and asked other people to share it.

"He honestly kept me calm,” Sutton said. “I didn't want to freak him out so we told him they were fireworks and asked him, 'Who were you with before the fireworks happened?' He didn't seem scared or worried.”

The post was shared widely over social media, and someone ended up sharing with them the number of Aden’s grandfather.

"I’m not even sure how it happened. I just know all of a sudden we had a phone number, and we called it and it was his grandpa," Sutton said.

They took him to the hospital to wait for his grandfather, who called his daughter.

"The second time I called and talked to my dad, he answered the phone crying. He said, 'They found Aden, I don't know how he is or anything. I just got a phone call saying your grandson is at Sunrise Hospital,'" Huser said.

They were reunited the next morning.

"His whole face lit up. I dropped to my knees. I don’t think we've ever held each other that hard and that tight. We were one for a minute and he just didn't want to let go," she said.

Aden asked if next time, the family could go to the bathroom together.

"I lost it and I started crying. I said, 'I'll never leave you ever again. ... We will all go together, no matter what, every time,'" Huser said.

[Image: Twitter]

Crime Time is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxgen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our true crime podcast Martinis & Murder for all the best true crime content.

All Posts About:
Breaking News

You May Also Like...

Recommended by Zergnet