Teen Fined For Wasting Police’s Time After Reporting Stalker Found With Throat Slit

She made numerous complaints about her ex-boyfriend, who is charged with killing her. He claims he is innocent.

By Gina Tron

Shana Grice, a 19-year old girl in England, went to police several times last year to report that an ex-boyfriend was stalking her, but was penalized for wasting their time. Last August, she was found with her throat slit in her bedroom, which had been set on fire. 

Grice’s murder trial is now ongoing — and her ex-boyfriend, 27-year-old Michael Lane, says he’s innocent, according to the BBC.

At trial, jurors have heard how Grice told police she was being stalked by Lane in February, 2016. According to the BBC, Lane had allegedly hid outside her home and sent unwanted flowers. In addition, he left a note on her new boyfriend’s car that read, “Shana will always cheat on you.” In March 2016, Lane allegedly assaulted Grice, pulling her hair.

In July, Lane stole a key and let himself into Grice’s home to watch her sleep, the court was told. The following day, Grice received calls from a withheld number, including one with heavy breathing, and according to the report, she once again went to the police for help. The jurors learned that the police treated the incident as "low risk.” 

In fact, Grice was given a penalty notice from police for failing to disclose she had been in a relationship with Lane, and for "having caused wasteful employment of police by making a false report.”  

As the defense case opened, Lane said he had stolen the key and let himself into Grice’s home to “find out why we ended so abruptly,” according to the BBC.

He admitted to leaving the note on the boyfriend’s car and to fitting a tracker device on Grice’s car, but denied making the phone calls.

Lane also admitted to the court that he found Grice’s body, saying he stopped by to see her and found the front door open. He says he went into shock, and didn’t know what to do. He did not call police. "I saw her slumped against the bed,” he said. “She wasn't moving. I saw blood on the bed and blood on the floor. … She was in her dressing gown. I thought she was dead."

Lane denied torching the room to the court, claiming that he had bought petrol to kill himself because of a depression that ensued after his grandfather's death. He said he went home, according to the BBC, and didn’t tell his family about finding his ex-girlfriend dead. He showered and got a lottery ticket checked instead. After hearing sirens, he hid his blood-stained shoes and threw out a T-shirt, he told the court.

Lane admitted in court he told lies in police interviews. The trial has been adjourned until Monday.

[Photo of Grice: Facebook]

Related Stories

Crime Time is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our true crime podcast Martinis & Murder for all the best true crime content. 

You May Also Like...
Recommended by Zergnet