Woman Tries To Kill Gross Bug In Bedroom, Sets Entire Apartment On Fire Instead

The blaze caused $140,000 in damages.

By Sowmya Krishnamurthy

A Kansas woman took pest control into her own hands with expensive consequences. According to the Topeka Capital-Journal, she tried to kill a bug with a lighter and ended up burning down her apartment. Topeka Fire Department officials estimate that the blaze caused $140,000 in damages.

The incident at Fairlawn Green Apartments occurred early Monday. Residents Ausha Scott was inside her apartment unit with her mother, Monique Quarles, and 2-year-old child, Avionna Scott-Quarles. She says Quarles tried to burn a bug they found in the bedroom with a small lighter. “When I grabbed the bug and I had it, I went to light it and then the lighter started sparking, so these sparks then went onto the box springs,” Quarles said. “The sparks just started flying on it and inside of it.”

The sparks ended up setting the bed on fire and led to an all-out emergency. She said Scott tried to get water from the kitchen to put the flame out but it was too late. “By the time I came back, I was really seeing fire in there, so I knew we really shouldn’t keep trying to put it out. I said, ‘Get out — get the baby, call 911.’ And that’s what we did.”

Residents were evacuated from the three-story building. No injuries were reported. Fire officials said 13 adults and six children have been displaced because of the incident.

[Photo: YouTube]

Related Stories

Crime Time is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our true crime podcast Martinis & Murder for all the best true crime content. 

You May Also Like...
Recommended by Zergnet