Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

Michigan Mom's Body Found In Pond Near Cabin Where She Mysteriously Vanished

Before she went missing, Adrienne Quintal was on the phone with a family friend claiming to be hunkered down in her family's cabin, and engaged in a gunfight against intruders.

By M.L. Nestel
Adrienne Quintal Fb

The massive 10-week search for a missing Michigan mom ended in anguish.

On Dec. 21, the body of Adrienne Quintal, 47, who vanished from her family’s cabin in a swampy patch of Honor, Michigan, under mysterious circumstances in October, was found immersed in several feet of water by a search party of family and friends.

The search party found a body, submerged in a flooded area, after they drained about 12 inches of water to access it, according to a Benzie County Sheriff’s Office release

After pulling the remains from the drained waters, law enforcement were fairly confident that the body was Quintal. 

“Due to the proximity of the body to the cabin where Adrienne Quintal went missing from, it was believed that the body found was that of Ms. Quintal,” the release read.

They also confirmed that the woman's body pulled from the water bore various scars and a right ankle tattoo, that they say match Quintal’s. 

So far, there appears to be "no sign of foul play" in Quintal’s fate, but authorities are still awaiting toxicology results from the medical examiner, according to the release.

The mother mysteriously vanished on Oct. 17, the same day she placed a bizarre phone call to a family friend in Warren, Michigan, in the middle of the night, according to The Detroit Free Press.

At first, Quintal complained of hearing strange noises in the cabin. 

Then, clearly agitated, she told her friend that there were people outside the cabin firing guns at her, and that she had shot one of them in the face, her older sister, Jenny Bryson, told the publication.  

The friend dialed 911, then tried to call Quintal back, but the call went straight to voicemail.

"It is gut-wrenching. I lay awake every night wondering where she is," Bryson told the newspaper at the time.

When responding deputies arrived to the cabin, they found bullet holes in the window and ceiling of the cabin. The shots appeared to have been fired from inside. Outside, they found multiple shell casings of varying ages, which still need to undergo ballistics tests, according to the Free Press.

Investigators also found Quintal’s car, purse, cellphone and handgun, according to The Traverse City Record-Eagle. Her boots and cellphone were on the roof of the cabin, while her gun was on the ground, according to the Free Press.

But Quintal herself was gone. 

Over the following weeks, Benzie County Sheriff’s tried gathering tips leading to help them lead to Quintal's recovery by offering a $2,500 reward as Thanksgiving approached. 

Quintal's family at one point offered $100,000 for information leading to the missing woman.

Various attempts to find Quintal were launched with the deployment of volunteers and cadaver dogs. One search party on Dec. 7 and Dec. 8 reportedly tried to inspect the wet grounds surrounding the cabin, but came up short because the terrain was described as “flooded and almost impossible to search.”

"The search is over," Bryson wrote on a Facebook page. "We have not stopped searching for Ada for the past 9 1/2 weeks. Today we found her. We are heartbroken, as the search did not have a positive ending."