Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!
Alec Baldwin Calls Suggestion He's Not Complying With Search Warrant For His Phone A 'Lie'
A New Mexico judge signed off on a search warrant for Alec Baldwin's phone on Dec. 16, but authorities are still working with law enforcement in New York to secure the phone.
Alec Baldwin has said any suggestion that he’s not complying with a New Mexico search warrant requesting his phone as part of the investigation into the fatal shooting of Halyna Hutchins on the “Rust” film set of is “bulls--t” and a “lie.”
Baldwin insisted in a brief video posted to Instagram Saturday that he plans to comply with the search warrant issued last month “1000%,” but said the process has been delayed because New Mexico authorities have to go through law enforcement in New York, where he lives, to request what specific information they’d like from the phone.
“That is a process that takes time,” he said. “They have to specify what exactly they want. They can’t just go through your phone and take, you know, your photos or your love letters to your wife or what have you.”
A judge signed off on the search warrant Dec. 16 after Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office detectives said they wanted to look at the phone to retrieve possible evidence that “may be material and relevant” to the investigation, according to the affidavit obtained by Oxygen.com.
Investigators plan to examine call logs, digital photos, videos and private messages sent on social medial platforms—including those that may have been deleted—on Baldwin’s phone that were related to the movie.
According to a statement from New Mexico’s First Judicial District Attorney, obtained by local station KOAT, authorities are still working to execute the warrant and have yet to retrieve the phone.
Baldwin insisted, however, that he is “perfectly fine” with complying with the order and is simply waiting for investigators to work through their process with authorities in New York.
“Any suggestion that I am not complying with requests or orders or demands or search warrants about my phone, that’s bulls--t, that’s a lie,” he said in the video.
Hutchins was killed Oct. 21 on the set of the film after a gun Baldwin had been holding discharged and a bullet struck her in the chest during a rehearsal. Director Joel Souza was struck by the same bullet in the shoulder, but survived.
Baldwin has insisted that at the time of the shooting he believed it was a “cold gun” or weapon loaded with dummy rounds rather than live ammunition.
The investigation into the fatal shooting now hinges on how the live ammunition got onto the set and into the prop gun.
“The best way, the only way, we can honor the death of Halyna Hutchins is to find out the truth,” Baldwin added Saturday. “That’s what I’m working toward, insisting on, demanding, that the organizations involved in this investigation do everything in their power, everything in their power, to find out what really happened.”
Baldwin echoed a similar sentiment in a more than 12-minute video posted to Instagram on New Year’s Day.
“This has been surely the worst situation I’ve ever been involved with and I’m very hopeful that the people in charge with investigating this whole thing get to the truth as soon as possible,” he said in that video. “No one wants the truth more than I do.”
In the New Year’s post, Baldwin thanked those who had “been kind to me” and said that in 2022 he planned to focus on finding ways not to let negativity “destroy you.”
“I’ve had more people who have been kind and thoughtful and generous of spirit than I’ve had, you know, people who are malignant about the death of Halyna Hutchins,” he said. “I’m not afraid to say that and to couch that in some euphemisms—somebody died very tragically. I’ve gotten so much, and I mean so much, goodwill from people. It’s just incredible.”