Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

‘Let’s Make 2023 The Best One Yet’: Ana Walshe Wrote Eerie Final Message To Husband Before Disappearing

“We are the author of our lives…courage, love, perseverance, compassion and joy,” Ana Walshe allegedly scrawled on the side of a champagne box in a note to her husband.

By Jill Sederstrom
Tips On How To Report A Missing Person

Ana Walshe was looking forward to the future in an eerie final message she reportedly penned to her husband before mysteriously vanishing on New Year’s Day.

“Wow! 2022…What a year! And yet, we are still here and together! Let’s make 2023 the best one yet!” Ana allegedly scrawled on the side of a champagne box in red ink, according to photos of the couple’s home obtained by The New York Post.

“We are the authors of our lives…courage, love, perseverance, compassion and joy. Love, Ana,” the purported message concludes.

The couple rang in 2023 at a small New Year’s Eve party at their home before Ana, a mother of three, disappeared the next morning.

Her husband Brian Walshe told police he last saw his wife just after 6 a.m. on Jan. 1, when she woke him up to tell him she was heading to Washington D.C. to handle a “work emergency,” according to an affidavit.

RELATED: Husband Arrested After Knife, Blood Found In Basement Belonging To Missing Mass. Mother

However, police found no record of her getting a ride share to the airport or getting on a plane, according to the news outlet. Cohasset Police Chief William Quigley said that Ana Walshe had also booked a flight from Boston to Washington D.C. on Jan. 3 but she didn't make that flight either, according to ABC Boston affiliate WCVB. 

Phone records also reportedly put the Massachusetts mother near her Cohasset home on Jan. 1 and Jan. 2.

Cohasset Police have said the last time Ana was seen was “shortly after midnight” on New Year’s Day at her home.

She was reported missing three days later, on Jan. 4, by her coworkers. Brian Walshe, who was on house arrest and under monitoring after pleading guilty to three federal charges of fraud in 2021, filed a second missing persons report the same day.

Missing woman Ana Walshe

Police searched the Cohasset area for two days, to no avail.

Remnants of the New Year’s Eve party still filled the couple’s home, including three bottles of the pricey A.H. Hirsch Reserve Whiskey sitting on a counter, days after her disappearance, according to The Post.

A party’s guest, Gem Mutlu, described the atmosphere at the home on New Year’s Eve to WBZ-TV as “festive,” adding that he and the Walshes dined on an “elaborate meal" that Brian prepared.

“We hugged and celebrated and we toasted, just what you do over New Year’s,” Mutlu said. “There was a lot of looking forward to the new year. There was no indication of anything other than celebrating the new year, problems on hold.”

Mutlu, who now believes his friend may have been the victim of “foul play,” recalled leaving the home around 1:30 a.m. He said that nothing about Ana’s behavior at the time struck him as unusual.  

“She was texting with friends,” he said. “She was sitting next to me at the barstool and at their kitchen. There is absolutely no indication that any modicum of a tragedy, of disappearance, or anything else could have happened that night.”

In the days that have followed, investigators have discovered a grim set of clues.

According to prosecutors, blood and a bloody knife were found in the couple’s basement and Brian had reportedly searched on the internet for how to dismember and dispose of a body, CNN reports.

A hacksaw and bloody rug were also reportedly found while police searched a trash transfer station in Peabody, WCVB reports.

Brian was arrested on Jan. 8 by Cohasset and Massachusetts State Police for allegedly misleading police about his timeline of events after his wife disappeared.

Norfolk County Assistant District Attorney Lynn Beland said in court Monday that Brian had “provided statements relative to his movements and activities in the days after his wife’s disappearance that were not substantiated by investigation,” according to a statement from the Norfolk District Attorney’s Office.

Walshe had told police he went to visit his mother in Swampscott and ran a series of errands, including trips to Whole Foods and CVS on New Year’s Day. However, prosecutors have said there is no surveillance footage of him at either store.

Authorities allegedly did uncover surveillance footage, however, of him purchasing $450 worth of cleaning supplies, including mops, tape and buckets, at a Home Depot, WCVB reports.

Brian pleaded not guilty to misleading a police investigation earlier this week and is being held on $500,000 bail. He is due to appear in court on Feb. 9. 

The search for his missing wife continues.