Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!
Newborn Baby Still Missing After Father, Who Was Suspected Of Killing Infant’s Mom And Two Others, Turns Up Dead
Investigators are desperately searching for 1-week-old Andrew Caballeiro after he was taken by his father Ernesto Caballeiro, who authorities suspect killed the baby's mother and two others before ultimately killing himself.
Investigators in Florida are desperately trying to find a missing newborn boy after his father, accused of abducting him and killing three female relatives, was found dead by suspected suicide in Pasco County.
An Amber Alert was issued early Wednesday for 1-week-old Andrew Caballeiro, who was last seen in Miami. The alert said he was likely with Ernesto Caballeiro, 49, in a 2001 White Chevy Express van. That vehicle was later found in a rural area of Blanton, near I-75, the Pasco Sheriff’s Department tweeted Wednesday afternoon. The body of Ernesto Caballeiro was found nearby in a wooded area with a self-inflected gunshot wound from a rifle.
“He is deceased, however there is no sign of the child,” the department tweeted Wednesday afternoon. “Units are continuing to search the area, which is a large area.”
At least one witness reported seeing a "blonde woman sitting in” the van with Caballeiro before he was found dead, investigators said during a press conference Wednesday evening.
Pasco County Chris Nocco theorized optimistically that the blonde woman has the baby and that he is okay.
“I sit here and pray to God that it is true and that she has the baby,” he said at the presser, adding “if that woman is out there, please come forward. I promise you that all we care about is that little Andrew is okay.”
In addition to the search for the newborn, officials are investigating the triple murder of three women in rural South Dade. The infant’s mother Arlety Garcia Valdes, 40; grandmother Isabela Valdes, 60; and great-grandmother Lina Gonzalez, 84 were found shot to death with a high-powered rifle, according to the Miami Herald. Authorities suspect Caballeiro killed them Tuesday night.
Caballeiro had a criminal record. He was accused in 2004 of car thefts and of running a chop shop and later pleaded guilty to grand theft. He had also been arrested for aggravated assault, but that charge was dismissed.
Pasco County shared a photo of the van on Wednesday afternoon in hopes that anyone who spotted it in the last 36 hours can contact officials with any information on where it had been. They stated during Wednesday’s news conference that they're also seeking information regarding a pick axe. Anyone who spotted a pick axe along a roadway is asked to contact the authorities.