Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

Teen Daughter Of Cold Case Murder Victim Found Shot To Death In Toledo

DeAsia Green went missing on New Year's Eve and was found dead in an alley nine days later. Her father, DeAndre Green, was killed in 2010.

By Megan Carpentier
5 Infamous Cold Cases of Murder

An Ohio family already devastated by a 2010 cold case murder is now grieving the violent death of another family member.

The family of DeAsia Green, a 15-year-old freshman at Start High School in Toledo, was notified of her death on Monday, Jan. 9, according to Toledo CBS affiliate WTOL. Police found her shot to death in an alley a couple blocks north of the city's Forest Cemetery.

Her father, DeAndre Green, 21, was shot to death in his car in the parking lot of a now-closed bar on Oct. 17. 2010, according to Toledo ABC affiliates WTVG. The place where his body was discovered was less than three miles from where his daughter's body was found.

His case has never been solved. Police have named no suspects in DeAsia's murder, but told WTVG that they do not believe the cases are connected.

According to police, DeAsia's family last saw her on New Year's Eve and had planned to pick her up at a friend's house on Jan. 3, according to the Toledo Blade. She wasn't there. She texted with her family and attended school on Jan. 5, according to WTOL, but refused to tell her mother where she was and didn't make further contact.

RELATED: University Of Idaho Murder Suspect Told Police It Was 'Really Sad What Happened' To The Victims: Report

Her family officially reported her missing on Jan. 5, though police classified her as a "habitual runaway," the station said.

"I think the family of DeAsia had some intuition that this was different than previously," Toledo Police Sgt. Mike Kurjan told the station.

Her family provided information to police that they received suggesting DeAsia had been shot, which allowed police to find the body, WTVG reported.

Dr. Jeffrey Hudson, a Lucas County deputy coroner, announced that a Tuesday autopsy determined the teen had died of a single gunshot wound to the head, the Blade reported. Her death was classified as a homicide.

Police haven't released whether they believe DeAsia was shot in the alley, or killed elsewhere and then dumped in the alley.

"Showing no respect for that person's life and what they meant to their family and what they meant to the people that love them, to just leave them in an alley, words can't describe how upsetting that is," Kurjan said in a statement, according to WTOL.

DeAndre's death remains unsolved and cold case detectives appealed for more information in his homicide last April, according to WTVG.

On Oct. 17, 2010, police received a call about a shooting outside of CJ's Bar sometime after midnight, and found DeAndre suffering from multiple gunshot wounds in his car. He was transported to the hospital but died of his injuries six days later.

Witnesses said he left the bar alone shortly before the shooting and there had been no altercations before he left. 

“Everyone heard the shots but no one claims to have witnessed the actual shooting.” Toledo Police cold case Detective William Goodlet told the station in April 2022.

“[The original investigators] ran into some difficulty in this case because nobody wanted their name associated with any information, everyone wanted to be anonymous,” he added.

"Life is too short to be harming somebody because somebody said this or somebody said that," Nevetta Fisher, DeAndre's mother said at the time, WTOL reported. "That he said/she said something is not going to get you anywhere."

The family pleaded then for a witness to come forward, but nobody did and the case went cold.

The Ohio Liquor Control Commission pulled the bar's license in 2011, WTOL reported, following efforts by the city to shut the bar down because multiple crimes had been committed there, Chicago ABC affiliate WTS reported at the time. It briefly reopened as a private motorcycle club, but was busted for operating as a speakeasy following a February 2012 raid.

In a Facebook post after her daughter's death, DeAsia's mom said she'd always been worried for her daughter.

"I did nothing but preach to my baby this cold cold world," TeeTee Means wrote. "Your daddy was killed and we left still ... praying hoping for justice."

"These streets don’t love nobody," she added. "DeAsia, they hurting kids."

Police are now asking anyone with information on either DeAsia or DeAndre Green's homicides to call or text Crime Stoppers at 419-255-1111. 

Read more about: