Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

Man Accused Of Setting Pregnant Girlfriend On Fire Made Bond Before Charges Re-Issued

Devonne Marsh briefly made bond, though he was not released from custody, after he was charged with kidnapping and setting his girlfriend — who is six months pregnant with twins — on fire.

By Gina Tron
Man Allegedly Sets Pregnant Girlfriend On Fire

A Michigan man who allegedly set his pregnant girlfriend on fire was released on bond before charges were re-issued to encourage a much higher bond.

Devonne Marsh, 42, is accused of holding his 26-year-old live-in girlfriend against her will before setting her on fire on Jan. 14, according to a Detroit Police press release provided to Oxygen.com. Police said Marsh had doused her with lighter fluid before lighting the fire, Fox 2 Detroit reports

The victim is six months pregnant with twins, a video produced by Fox 2 Detroit and shared by the Detroit Police department on social media, stated. She was recently listed in critical condition after suffering "severe burns on her legs and stomach," according to the press release. The condition of the unborn babies is not clear.

Police Commander Michael McGinnis told the news outlet that the mother-to-be had suffered third-degree burns on 60 percent of her body.

"How do you do this to another human being? It’s unimaginable," he exclaimed. "Just incredibly traumatic injuries. I just can’t imagine the pain she must be suffering.”

After Marsh was arrested and charged with kidnapping/abduction, aggravated/felonious assault and violation of the controlled substance act, his bond was only set at $50,000 or 10 percent — meaning $5,000 was all he needed to get released.

He posted that amount on Friday morning, Fox 2 Detroit reports, and was barred from possessing any weapons or drugs and ordered not to go to the apartment he shares with his girlfriend.

But, while he made bond, Marsh was never actually released, as neighboring Macomb County had another warrant out on him for other charges. 

Then on Monday,  the charges in Wayne County in connection with his girlfriend’s attack were re-issued, Fox 2 Detroit reports. — and he was ordered held on a $750,000 bond.

Marsh’s defense tried unsuccessfully to argue that the bond was only being raised because of media attention on the case. 

Police Commander McGinnis had expressed concern last week about Marsh’s bond amount.

“We just hope that he remains in custody through the trial process so the victim can heal without fear of any kind of retribution from him," he said.

Marsh is due back in court on Feb. 1.