Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

'Worst Thing I Have Ever Seen': Police Allegedly Catch Man Cannibalizing Dead Grandmother

Authorities claim they found Dwayne Wallick "digging into” his grandmother’s “flesh” earlier this week.

By Dorian Geiger

A Richmond man is accused of cannibalizing his grandmother's lifeless corpse, California authorities said. 

Dwayne Wallick, 37, is suspected of murdering and eating the remains of his 90-year-old grandmother Ruby Wallick earlier this week, the Mercury News reported.

Police said they discovered Wallick hovering over the body of his grandmother at a residential property in Richmond around 2 p.m. on June 1. They allegedly found him “digging into her flesh,” homicide investigators said, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

Wallick allegedly ignored officers’ demands to stop and was later restrained by law enforcement by use of a stun gun. Wallick was handcuffed after a struggle, according to the East Bay Times. It took four officers to subdue Wallick, the Chronicle Herald reported. Ruby Wallick was pronounced dead at the scene.

The case has shocked veteran homicide detectives. 

“I will say that in 26 years of law enforcement it’s the worst thing I have ever seen,” Richmond Police Sgt. Aaron Pomeroy told the newspaper. 

There’s currently no known motive in the attack. Investigators are examining whether drugs may have played a role, according to the Mercury News, which reported that the grandmother and grandson shared the residence, according to the Mercury News.

Ruby Wallick’s cause of death hasn’t yet been officially determined. Contra Costa County coroners were scheduled to perform an autopsy on Wednesday, officials said. 

Wallick was taken to hospital where he’s being treated for unspecified physical injuries, authorities said. He’s expected to be booked into a Contra Costa County jailhouse following his release. It’s unclear if he’d been taken into formal custody as of Wednesday morning.

The 37-year-old wasn’t previously known to local law enforcement, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. 

Police have yet to turn over case files to prosecutors and charges have not officially been handed down, according to a spokesperson for Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office. 

“We have not received it,” Scott Alonso, the DA office's public information officer, told Oxygen.com.

Officials for the Richmond Police Department didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment Wednesday morning.