Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

Illinois Homeowner Captured On Video Fighting Off Suspect In Attempted Home Invasion That Left Intruder Dead

Police say the two suspects "pre-planned" the afternoon home invasion because they believed there were items of value inside the Arlington Heights home. 

By Jill Sederstrom
Bradley Finnan Pd

An Illinois homeowner fought off two masked home invaders, killing one — with a portion of the dramatic exchange caught on his Doorbell video camera.

The Doorbell camera footage, obtained by the Daily Herald, shows two men wearing white face masks and gloves, approaching a family home in the afternoon of April 4. One of the men rings the doorbell before the homeowner answers and the men step inside.

A short time later, the homeowner can be seen on video throwing one of the men back out the front door. During the scuffle, the homeowner can be seen punching the suspect and shouting, “Help!”

The suspect, later identified by authorities as Bradley J. Finnan, is seen running away while the homeowner runs back in toward his house. At this point, there was an alleged confrontation between the homeowner and second suspect Larry D. Brodacz.

After the scuffle with the man believed to be Finnan — who fled the residence — police said the homeowner went back inside and allegedly found Brodacz holding his wife and two children at gunpoint. Brodacz then allegedly started to attack the homeowner.

“Fearing for his life and the lives of his wife and children, the homeowner discharged a round from the family handgun, striking Mr. Brodacz in the abdomen,” police said, according to the Chicago Sun Times.

The family called 911 and waited outside for police to arrive. Arlington Heights Police arrived at the scene around 2 p.m. and learned the gunman was still inside the house.

Police determined Brodacz was dead once they went inside, according to the statement.

Finnan was also shot by the homeowner in self-defense and he was apprehended a short time later, police said. Finnan is facing two counts of home invasion and one count of felony murder. 

In the state of Illinois, defendants can be charged with murder if they take part in a felony that leads to the death of another person, according to the local paper.

“Our investigation revealed the incident was definitely pre-planned,” Commander Joseph Pinnello of the Arlington Heights Police Criminal Investigation Bureau told Oxygen.com.

The home was specifically targeted because the men “believed there were items of value in the residence,” Pinnello said.

He declined to release any further details about what led police to come to that conclusion, citing the upcoming prosecution, but told Oxygen.com that authorities were “confident” they had the right man in custody.

Authorities have not publicly identified the homeowner; however, Sebastian Maniscalco identified himself as the man involved in the case in a post on Facebook.

“There are no words to be found to appropriately define the ongoing aftermath of this event for our family,” he wrote. “We are doing our best and praying each following day will bring better than the last. With all of this distress, our family has been blessed with the most incredible outpour of concern for our family.

Maniscalco went on to thank those who had offered the family meals, groceries, clothing, and even lodging in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.

This speaks volumes of the GOOD that is out there. This not only touches our souls, it places hope in our hearts. HOPE that we will heal from this event, HOPE that we will one day feel safe again, HOPE that the images and sounds that currently hold us hostage on replay in our minds will begin to fade,” he wrote.

Maniscalco also thanked the detectives, paramedics, firefighters, forensic teams, and special teams who had assisted in the investigation.

“April 4th changed our lives, and brought true appreciation in the fact we are alive,” he wrote.

It was not immediately clear if Finnan had an attorney who could comment on his behalf.

Read more about: