Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

Fotis Dulos' Ex-Lawyer Linked To Makeshift 'Grave' Found On Hunting Property He Helped Establish, Cops Say

Two hunters found a hole –– two feet wide, six feet long and three feet deep –– on the property of the Windsor Rod & Gun Club, which Kent Mawhinney helped found, about a week before Jennifer Dulos disappeared. Nearby were a tarp and two bags of lime, they told police.

By Gina Tron
Fotis Dulos Charged With Murder in Disappearance of Wife Jennifer

Fotis Dulos’ former civil attorney Kent Mawhinney — who was arrested Tuesday alongside his ex client in connection with Jennifer Dulos’ murder — has been linked to a makeshift grave at an outdoors club he helped set up, according to his arrest warrant.

Mawhinney was arrested at gunpoint during a traffic stop Tuesday afternoon, the Stamford Advocate reports. He has been charged with conspiracy to commit murder. His bond has been set at $2 million.

In his arrest warrant, obtained by Oxygen.com, Connecticut State Police investigators reveal a grave had been discovered on the property of the Windsor Rod & Gun Club, which sits on around 25 acres of wooded land, in East Granby about a week before Jennifer vanished.

“Mawhinney was responsible for the club's existence,” the arrest warrant states. “He had found the land and helped to secure it and establish the club 12-15 years earlier.”

Mawhinney left the club five or six years ago, the warrant states, but he reached out to another club member in March or April to inquire "how to get back onto the property." That club member told him "about the hidden key to the logging chain,” according to the the warrant, which explains that only about five others are supposed to have access to the property.

Kent Mawhinney Ap

Two members of the Windsor Rod & Gun Club came across a hole –– described as two feet wide, six feet long and three feet deep –– while hunting on May 18 in a restricted area. They also noted a blue tarp and two bags of lime. Club member Jim Lawlor described the hole as “one hundred percent a human grave.”

Lawlor reached out to investigators after he realized that Mawhinney was “involved in that Dulos case,” the warrant states.

State police searched the area with K9s in August, after the hole had been filled back in, but did not find any evidence of human remains. They also did not find any tarp or bags of lime. The hole had been photographed before it was re-filled, however.

The arrest warrant also claims that Dulos called Mawhinney while allegedly dumping evidence the night Jennifer went missing, according to phone records. Mawhinney told investigators back in June he didn’t talk to Dulos and that he suffered a concussion after falling down a flight of stairs the day after Jennifer vanished. He said his phone broke and he had to repair it at that time. During another interview he allegedly said, “I don’t remember having contact with him [Dulos]. If there’s a phone call I guess I did. But I don’t remember having contact with Fotis,” he told police, according to the warrant.

In addition to being described as Fotis’ close friend, Mawhinney represented him against a $2.5 million civil lawsuit filed by his mother-in-law.

The lawyer has had his share of legal trouble before. He was arrested twice last year. In the first instance, he was charged with sexually assaulting his wife and disorderly conduct, NBC Connecticut reports. Then he was charged with violating an order of protection his wife had gotten after the first incident. He allegedly enlisted Dulos to call his estranged wife in order to arrange a meeting between the two at Dulos’ house, purportedly so they could reconnect sexually, according to the Stamford Advocate. Mawhinney’s estranged wife told police she thought that Mawhinney and Dulos were really trying to “get rid of her,” the Advocate reports.

Mawhinney requested on June 7 to stop representing Dulos in his civil case.

He is due in court on Wednesday.