Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View

Kevin Spacey Formally Charged With Five Sex Offenses Against Three Men In The U.K.

Actor Kevin Spacey is expected to appear in a magistrate's court in London on Thursday now that the four charges of sexual assault and one other sex offense charge, announced last month, have been formalized.

Kevin Spacey

Actor Kevin Spacey has now been formally charged by police in England for allegedly sexual offenses multiple men.

The 62-year-old actor “has been formally charged with four counts of sexual assault against three men," the Metropolitan Police Department announced on Monday, in addition to a fifth charge.

The first two sexual assault charges stem from a man, now in his 40s, who alleges that Spacey sexually assaulted him in March of 2005 in London. The second accuser, who is now in his 30s, alleges that Spacey sexually assaulted him in August of 2008 in London; Spacey has been charged with both sexual assault and causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent for that alleged incident. The third man, now in his 30s, has accused Spacey of sexually assaulting him in April of 2013 in Gloucestershire.

Under U.K. law, a sexual assault is defined as sexual touching to which the victim did not consent. The same law defines "causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent" as any non-consensual oral sex, whether performed on or by the victim, any other non-consensual penetrative sexual act performed on the victim not involving the perpetrator's penis, or any penetrative act the victim was forced to perform without his or her consent.

The Metropolitan Police announced the charges against Spacey last month. Spacey is now scheduled to appear in a magistrate's court in London on Thursday morning, USA Today reports.

Spacey said in a statement provided to “Good Morning America" in May that he plans to appear in London to face the accusations, according to ABC News

"I very much appreciate the Crown Prosecution Service's statement in which they carefully reminded the media and the public that I am entitled to a fair trial, and innocent until proven otherwise,” he said. “While I am disappointed with their decision to move forward, I will voluntarily appear in the U.K. as soon as can be arranged and defend myself against these charges, which I am confident will prove my innocence."

According to The Guardian, if Spacey did not voluntarily appear, officials could have possibly extradited the “American Beauty” actor.

Earlier this year, Spacey testified in New York in a civil lawsuit filed by actor Anthony Rapp, who has accused Spacey of sexually assaulting him at a party in the 1980s when Rapp was 14. When those allegations first surfaced in 2017, the Oscar-winning actor was fired from his role in Netflix’s “House of Cards.”

Spacey had also been accused of groping an 18-year-old at a Nantucket resort, but charges of indecent assault and battery in the case were dismissed by prosecutors in 2019.

Calling All True Crime Fans
Oxygen Insider is your all-access pass to never-before-seen content, free digital evidence kits, and much more!
Sign Up for Free
Related

Crime News is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for Oxygen Insider for all the best true crime content. 

You May Also Like...
Recommended by Zergnet